East Woodhay Local History Society

This local society has been in existence since 1997 and has had many interesting talks about the area and its surroundings over the years as well as being involved with local research. Its motto is: ‘Bringing the past to the present for our future’.

It meets in East Woodhay Village Hall at Heath End once a month between September and March (excluding December) as well as offering a visit to a local place of interest in the spring. The membership fee for the year is £7.50 and visitors are welcome to their chosen talk for an entrance fee of £4. Topics have included:

Guy Burgess, whose family lived in the parish at Oakhurst.Lord Falkland.

The Knights’ Hospitallers.

Speenhamland.

Women on the railway 1939-1960.

The Astors of Kirby House.

Aldbourne Bell Foundry


The research group’s most recent project has been a study of the background of all those named on the parish’s war memorials from the two world wars. Exhibitions were put on in the Parish in 2014 and 2018. Memorial Books have been placed in both of the local churches.

The society has also produced a very informative book, History of the Parish of East Woodhay, as a Millennium Project and copies are still available, as are copies of the book on the parish’s footpaths.

We are always grateful to receive any information about East Woodhay – memories, photographs, documents etc. Again please get in touch, as we don’t want to lose valuable resources. We can always scan or copy items if you want to keep them. We can also assist with family history research.

An exhibition poster from the society’s research into World War memorials, showing details of the life of Phyllis Louise Guillemard (1891-1916), a Voluntary Aid Detachment nurse.

Group details
Catalogue   
PublicationsHistory of the Parish of East Woodhay, 2000
Website            None
Phone number  07880  628114
Email address    chrissie.dalton@yahoo.co.uk
Contact name & position           Christine Dalton, Secretary