Grant to King John’s House and Tudor Trust, Romsey

Conservation and New Presentation of 1571 Bargain and Sale deed featuring King John’s House.

The project provides solutions to the problems of the display, condition and protection of this important document. The work undertaken and now underway revolves around

  • Conservation and remounting the document – during that work it will be possible to create a digital image showing the hidden section in the document fold
  • Provision of a new museum standard table-top display cabinet to protect the document and allow a better view by visitors
  • Improved interpretation of the document

Annually, some 7000 people come through the area where the deed is displayed – individually or in groups.  Special interest groups include U3A (local and distant); The Arts Society; local history societies

There was some initial delay in getting this purpose built cabinet constructed but it was completed and arrived early January 2020,. It fits beautifully and will enhance the display for the document and the public. All work is scheduled to finish by the end of February and the display be re-opened with a reception towards the end of February

About King John’s House & Tudor Cottage Trust Ltd

The Trust manages a complex of three historic buildings – 13th-century/Jacobean/ Victorian – surrounded by period-style gardens.  It is an independent trust supported by Test Valley Borough Council.

Focus of collections and programmes: links to history of the site; Moody family (last private owners); and local history, including Romsey Abbey and Broadlands Park